By Bob Evans
Leawood Stage Company’ Holiday Show 2020, “Home for the Holidays” features a cast of Kansas City favorites, singing, reading, and reciting memories from the Christmas season.
Musical director, Kevin Bogan, assembles a strong cast to present the Leawood Stage’s virtual show that can be viewed through December through their Facebook page. The show, just over an hour in length, even includes an intermission–just like a live show would include.
Even through the virtual presentation, the warmth of the performers comes through to home audiences. With a mixture of known and newer songs, the happy mood of the show will engage viewers. The comedy songs allow the performers to insert their own personalities into the lyrics.
The duets, featuring Austin Stang/Ashton Botts and Grace Piper Fields/Jace Vendelin bring smiles and would be extreme crowd-pleasers in a live show. Their charming personalities bring the lyrics to life with their performances. Stang and Botts create magic with a delightful mix of “Winter Wonderland” and “Let it Snow. The Award-winning Best Song, “Baby It’s Cold Outside,” from Neptune’s Daughter, allows Grace Piper Fields and Jace Vendelin to display their singing and performance of the tricky number. Watch for Vendelin in future local shows.
The holiday show is hosted by Michael Blinn of Leawood Stage Company. The show includes holiday music, a reading of “Twas the Night Before Christmas,” a couple of Christmas stories, and a sack full of smiles as you hear holiday favorites and some novelty numbers.
With no live performance or a program for attendees, the songs included in the show and the performers are listed below.
• Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly – Caroler Group
• Welcome – Michael Blinn
• Carol of the Bells – Caroler Group
• Where Are You Christmas – Courtney Koval
• Merry Christmas Darling – Brenna McConaughy
• Never Fall in Love with an Elf – Emma Jacobson
• Rudolph – Drew Squire
• ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas – Cathy Wood
• Mrs. Santa Claus – Annette Cook
• Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Susan Neu
• Card Scene from “Love Actually”
• Winter Wonderland/Let it Snow – Ashton Botts/Austin Stang
• I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus – Andrea Hobley
• The Christmas Song – Megan Coble
• That’s What I Want for Christmas – Alecia Stultz
• Baby It’s Cold Outside – Grace Piper Fields/Jace Vendelin
• Boxed – Dennie Oades, Jerilyn Main, Flute
• The Biblical Christmas Story – Chad Burris, Jerilyn Main, Flute
• O Holy Night – Matt Richardson
• 12 Days After Christmas – Ginger Birch
• We’ll Start the New Year Right – Robin Robles
• Goodbye from Michael Blinn
• Let There Be Peace on Earth – Matt Henrickson
The carolers are: Macy Cherra, Grace Piper Fields, Estelle Gordon, Toby Rodriguez, Essy Seigal, Fritz Sullivan, Tess Tappon.
All in all, the show is fun and family-friendly. It’s great for family viewing and serves as a reminder of what COVID has done to our local theatres, performers, musicians, technicians, performing venues, etc. ‘Tis the season of giving, and all local theatres need donor support to maintain.
Leawood Stage Company is just one venue that depends on community support throughout the year. They encourage everyone to consider a donation (small–or even large) to help them continue their work.
To view their show, check out the link and share the link with your family and friends. Live theatre needs you.