Posted by Bob Evans
LOS TIGRES DEL NORTE TO PERFORM AT THE KAUFFMAN CENTER
Legends of regional Mexican music return to the Kauffman Center Presents series on April 14
Kansas City band Making Movies will open the show
Kansas City, MO – Los Tigres del Norte, legends of regional Mexican music, will perform at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts on April 14. The event is part of the 2018-2019 Kauffman Center Presentsseries. Local band Making Movies will open the show.
Los Tigres del Norte have reinvented Mexican popular music with their modern take on norteño combined with traditional cumbia, bolero and rock rhythms. Along the way, the band has won several GRAMMY and Latin GRAMMY Awards, sold 37 million records and earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Making Movies blends pulsing Afro-Latino rhythms, psychedelic jams and rock ’n’ roll swagger. Tickets for this event range from $49 to $119 plus applicable fees. Tickets go on sale to the public at 10 a.m. Friday, February 15.
Tickets will be available through the Kauffman Center Box Office at (816) 994-7222, via the Kauffman Center mobile app and online at www.kauffmancenter.org.
ABOUT LOS TIGRES DEL NORTE
In the diverse world of Latin music, the regional Mexican genre accounts for more than half of all sales. Los Tigres del Norte are the undisputed legends of the genre. Billboard Magazine declared the band “the most influential regional Mexican group in the United States.” The New York Times has called them “Latin music’s greatest statesmen.”
Los Tigres del Norte have charted more than 50 No. 1 singles and recorded more than 500 songs. They’ve received multiple GRAMMY Awards and Latin GRAMMY Awards, earned the Latin Recording Academy’s Lifetime Achievement Award and were recognized with a Hispanic Heritage Foundation “Legend” Award at the Kennedy Center.
With the release of their most recent No. 1 album Realidades (Realities),Los Tigres del Norte continued to be proud social messengers for their community. The record details true-life stories of danger, discrimination and social rejection faced by both Mexican and Mexican-American fans on either side of the border. In 2018 the band followed in the footsteps of Johnny Cash by filming a two-night performance at Folsom State Prison for an upcoming documentary project.
ABOUT MAKING MOVIES
Kansas City-based band Making Movies delivers powerful live performances full of theatrics. Energy, mysticism, roots – it’s hard to describe the music of Making Movies, a band that Rolling Stone says is “breaking down walls in the United States,” with a mix of Afro-Latino rhythms and psychedelic rock ‘n’ roll. The connection between the Chi brothers, hailing from Santiago, Panama – together with their Mexican bandmates, the Chaurand brothers – results in an overwhelming musical presence that takes you through landscapes festive, furious, refreshing and dark. The band has shared the stage with Arcade Fire, Los Lobos, Galactic, Ozomatli, Tennis, Thievery Corporation, Rodrigo y Gabriela and Hurray for the Riff Raff.
KAUFFMAN CENTER PRESENTS SERIES SCHEDULE*
The Kauffman Center Presents series features extraordinary and diverse artists from a variety of musical genres and performance styles. Upcoming events include:
2018-2019 Kauffman Center Presents events:
- Tuesday, February 19 – National Geographic Live: Life On The Vertical – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Wednesday, March 13 – Anoushka Shankar – 7 p.m., Helzberg Hall
- Tuesday, March 19 – National Geographic Live: When Women Ruled The World – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Saturday, March 30 – The Summit: The Manhattan Transfer Meets Take 6 – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Sunday, April 14 – Los Tigres del Norte with special guests Making Movies – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Tuesday, April 30 – National Geographic Live: Day To Night – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Tuesday, June 4 – National Geographic Live: Adventures Among Orangutans – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Tuesday, June 11 – Snarky Puppy – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Friday, June 28 – Napoleon Dynamite: A Conversation with Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite), Efren Ramirez (Pedro) and Jon Gries (Uncle Rico) – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
2019-2020 Kauffman Center Presents events:
- Tuesday, July 9 – An Evening with Jane Fonda: A Celebration of a Storied Career – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Friday, August 23 – Iyanla Vanzant: Acts of Faith Remix Tour – 8 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Tuesday, October 1 – Jack Hanna’s Into the Wild Live! – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Wednesday, October 9 – Béla Fleck, Zakir Hussain & Edgar Meyer – 7 p.m., Helzberg Hall
*Events announced to date. Additional performances will be announced throughout the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 seasons. Updates are available at www.kauffmancenter.org/events-tickets/kauffman-center-presents/.
ABOUT THE KAUFFMAN CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS
The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts – a major not-for-profit center for music, opera, theater and dance designed by Moshe Safdie – opened in 2011. Serving as a cultural cornerstone for Kansas City and the region, the Kauffman Center delivers extraordinary and diverse performing arts experiences. Honored as one of the World’s 15 Most Beautiful Concert Halls, the Kauffman Center attracts some of the world’s most renowned performers and entertainers.
Through educational outreach programs and community enrichment, the Kauffman Center supports Kansas City as a cultural destination. More information on the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts is available at kauffmancenter.org.
Thanks to Kauffman Center Presents series sponsors for their generous support of the 2018-2019 season: Saint Luke’s Health System, PNC Bank, and Aristocrat Motors and Mercedes-Benz of Kansas City.