Posted by Bob Evans
THE KINGDOM CHOIR WILL PERFORM AT THE KAUFFMAN CENTER
Gospel choir that sang “Stand By Me” at Royal Wedding comes to Helzberg Hall on October 1
Kansas City, MO – Today, the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts announced that London’s The Kingdom Choir will perform in Helzberg Hall on October 1, as part of the 2019-2020 Kauffman Center Presents series.
The Kingdom Choir is best known for their show-stopping rendition of “Stand By Me” at the Royal Wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in May 2018. The performance, seen by a global audience of over 2 billion, instantly catapulted The Kingdom Choir to worldwide fame. Founded in 1994 by award-winning conductor Karen Gibson, the choir draws from various Christian traditions to create a sound that reflects the community they share through their warm energy and enthusiastic performances. Tickets for this event range from $19 to $59 plus applicable fees and go on sale to the public at 10 a.m. Friday, March 1.
Tickets will be available through the Kauffman Center Box Office at (816) 994-7222, via the Kauffman Center mobile app and online at www.kauffmancenter.org.
ABOUT THE KINGDOM CHOIR
The Kingdom Choir’s conductor Karen Gibson is an award-winning gospel choir leader who is credited on some of the most prestigious, large-scale choirs across the United Kingdom. Gibson is also a judge for BBC’s Gospel Choir of the Year Competition. Her prevalence and expertise have brought her work across Europe and into Asia, Africa and the United States.
The Kingdom Choir is composed of extraordinary singers from all over the southeast area of England. Over the years, the group has made many public broadcast appearances on premier religious radio and television broadcasts in the UK. The group has performed alongside artists such as the BBC Philharmonic, Elton John, Luther Vandross, the Spice Girls, Andraé Crouch and Fred Hammond among countless other high-profile musicians.
The Kingdom Choir released its debut album, Stand By Me, in October 2018 featuring covers of classics both new and old including “Halo” by Beyoncé, “All of Me” by John Legend, “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing” and a studio version of their now famous rendition of “Stand By Me.”
KAUFFMAN CENTER PRESENTS SERIES SCHEDULE*
The Kauffman Center Presents series features extraordinary and diverse artists from a variety of musical genres and performance styles. Upcoming events include:
2018-2019 Kauffman Center Presents events:
- Tuesday, February 19 – National Geographic Live: Life On The Vertical – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Wednesday, March 13 – Anoushka Shankar – 7 p.m., Helzberg Hall
- Tuesday, March 19 – National Geographic Live: When Women Ruled The World – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Saturday, March 30 – The Summit: The Manhattan Transfer Meets Take 6 – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Sunday, April 14 – Los Tigres del Norte with special guests Making Movies – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Tuesday, April 30 – National Geographic Live: Day To Night – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Tuesday, June 4 – National Geographic Live: Adventures Among Orangutans – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Tuesday, June 11 – Snarky Puppy – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Friday, June 28 – Napoleon Dynamite: A Conversation with Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite), Efren Ramirez (Pedro) and Jon Gries (Uncle Rico) – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
2019-2020 Kauffman Center Presents events:
- Tuesday, July 9 – An Evening with Jane Fonda: A Celebration of a Storied Career – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Friday, August 23 – Iyanla Vanzant: Acts of Faith Remix Tour – 8 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Tuesday, October 1 – Jack Hanna’s Into the Wild Live! – 7:30 p.m., Muriel Kauffman Theatre
- Tuesday, October 1 – The Kingdom Choir – 7 p.m., Helzberg Hall
- Wednesday, October 9 – Béla Fleck, Zakir Hussain & Edgar Meyer – 7 p.m., Helzberg Hall
*Events announced to date. Additional performances will be announced throughout the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 seasons. Updates are available at www.kauffmancenter.org/events-tickets/kauffman-center-presents/.
ABOUT THE KAUFFMAN CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS
The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts – a major not-for-profit center for music, opera, theater and dance designed by Moshe Safdie – opened in 2011. Serving as a cultural cornerstone for Kansas City and the region, the Kauffman Center delivers extraordinary and diverse performing arts experiences. Honored as one of the World’s 15 Most Beautiful Concert Halls, the Kauffman Center attracts some of the world’s most renowned performers and entertainers.
Through educational outreach programs and community enrichment, the Kauffman Center supports Kansas City as a cultural destination. More information on the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts is available at kauffmancenter.org.
Thanks to Kauffman Center Presents series sponsors for their generous support of the 2018-2019 season: Saint Luke’s Health System, PNC Bank, and Aristocrat Motors and Mercedes-Benz of Kansas City.