Press Release posted by Bob Evans
Who, What, And Where:
David Gaines, the 5 star, multi-award winning creator and performer of 7 (x 1) Samurai, returns to the 2019 Kansas City Fringe Festival with a tour-de-force of imagination and comic detail. His newest show, Big Top, is a spectacular physical comedy full of danger, circus thrills, and sweet romance. The show will be featured at the Union Station City Stage July 20 – 27, 2019. Tickets are $10 (with a $5 Fringe button).
Big Top is:
· A fast-paced circus comedy filled with danger and romance
· Reminiscent of a silent movie, in the style of an animated cartoon
· An enthralling hour of physical theatre virtuosity
· An acrobatic tour-de-force by creator and performer David Gaines of Arlington, VA
This is an amazing production: one performer on a bare stage, using only his body, imagination and vocalizations, brings an entire circus to life in the imagination of the audience. Wildly original. Like Popeye meets Chaplin in a Bugs Bunny cartoon! Fast-paced, ridiculous, poignant, and laugh-out-loud funny. If you grew up with cartoons, or never grew up at all, You’ll Love It!
Big Top is a delightful show for all ages and for speakers of any language. Like 7 (x 1) Samurai, it is a visual experience that each audience member fleshes out in their own imagination.
Accolades and Awards for A Little Business at the Big Top:
· “…brilliant non-verbal theater finely honed by a masterful actor.” – DC Metro Theater Arts
· Chosen as one of the CBC’s top 6 Family Friendly Fringe Picks
· “David Gaines brings to life an entire circus on the empty stage without uttering a word or depending on any prop.” – Winnipeg Free Press
· “A tour de force of storytelling and physical theatre, imbued with wit, hilarious physical humor, and even a few touches of genuine pathos. Gaines is an extraordinary theatre artist. It’s dazzling.” –Milwaukee Mag
· “It is utterly delightful.” – CBC
· “The man is pure electricity, the mime child of Steve Martin & Charlie Chaplin.” – Number Kevin, Rochester, NY
· Named one of Milwaukee Magazine’s top 5 shows of the year
· “If you saw the amazing whirlwind that was his past show, 7 (x1) Samurai, or even are new to his talents, do not miss this opportunity. It truly is a delight for all ages.” – Plays by John and Wendy, Indianapolis
· “Combines mime, great physical acting and a boatload of gibberish.” – JS Online, Milwaukee
Tickets for Big Top can be purchased online at http://kc-fringe.ticketleap.com/big-top , at the venue, or at Fringe 411. More information about the show, including video, photos, full reviews, and bios can be found athttp://www.davidgainesperformance.com/ . Additional high res photos can be sent upon request to: email@example.com
About David Gaines: A graduate of, and later teacher at, the famed Ecole Jacques Lecoq in Paris, Mr. Gaines established a very successful theatre company, The Moving Picture Mime Show in London that toured the world for a decade. The company was considered a flagship cultural envoy and performed in major theatre festivals around the world, including Hong Kong, New York, Tokyo, Bali, Beijing, and the official Edinburgh Festival.
He was a faculty member at the University of Missouri Kansas City Graduate Program and has taught workshops at many colleges and universities around the country. He has written and directed plays for companies in London, Paris, and Salzburg, and acted in works from Waiting for Godot to The Brothers Karamazov. He is a member of the Healthy Humor Clown Care Unit, where he works in Children’s National Medical Center (DC) and Johns Hopkins Hospital. He teaches at George Mason University in Virginia where he will direct “A Servant of Two Masters” in 2020. His other solo show, 7 (x 1) Samurai has toured the world to much acclaim.